Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Home Made Grout Cleaner

Ive always been interested in the sciences, especially the scientific process of the experiment that had to occur to create the results.
The grout in between the tiles in my familys kitchen have normally been cleaned by using bleach of some sort. I thought that one of my independent books might have an enviornmentally clean way to clean the grout. I was correct in  Salt, Lemons, Vinegar, and Baking Soda there is a recipe consisting of only two ingredients: baking soda and water. 


These two ingredients when mixed together create a paste that can be used for many purposes; one being to clean grout between tiles. I put some of the paste in the grout lines and let it sit for a while before using an old toothbrush, that my family uses to scrub these sort of areas around the house. My independent book also says to use old toothbrushes to scrub the area until the dirt and other stuff is gone. (Zukowski 181)

 

The cleaner worked quite well, but I would probably go over a second time to make sure that all the dirt is gone. In Salt, Lemons, Vinegar, and Baking Soda it goes on to explain why this cleaner is a better way to go about cleaning than commercialized cleaners "...youll likely want to avoid commercial cleansers. Aside from producing noxious fumes, harsh cleaning compounds may not be so gentle on the surrounding tile..." (Zukowski 181). After cleaning this small portion of the kitchen counter, my parents had me clean the rest of the kitchen counters.

What are some different ways your family tries to be environmentally cleaner?

Zukowski, Shea. Salt, Lemons, Vinegar, and Baking Soda: Hundreds of Earth-friendly Houshold Projects, Solutions, and Formulas. New York: Metro, 2009. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment